TED V3.0 : The TEDinator
Sometime back…..I gave you a sneak preview of the new version of TED Downloader (is, has and always shall be free :)) which i was working on. I am happy to say that i have completed my work on it and now i can introduce you to the finished product, that is “The TEDinator” (I can never get tired of that :)).
I went through a lot (and i mean a lot!!!) of your suggestions(listed below) and implemented those that i could. Here is the changelog :
Subtitle : Feature added : This is the major improvement in this version. It might be just a little checkbox on the screen but its working goes far deeper(I had to modify my code base for that). I have tried to make the entire list of languages available (as available on TED.com on 30th June 2012). Also, an imp Note about the subtitle module,I have verified it for English language and some of the other languages, but if any problems arise regarding sync or missing text do notify me and i will try to fix it ASAP.
UI Enhancement : Feature changed : There also has been a major change in the UI as can be seen below, this includes individual progress bar and a skip button for each file. This was necessitated by the need to make the program faster, UI more intuitive, all the necessary settings at one place, an efficient subtitle and video download management,and proper error free implementation.
Searchbox : Feature added : The most requested feature has been added finally. This will definitely make the whole download process easy.
Saving of Settings : Feature Added : Also, as per many requests regarding saving of settings, i have implemented the feature to save the user preferences in the registry and and while the program is still portable, the settings are not and need to be entered again if run on a new PC or if the registry entry has been tampered with.
Also, i have uploaded the file on virus total just to satisfy the skeptics, It shows a result of 0/42.
The foll. were the major requests, i received via feedback on TED V2.0 :
1. Ability to save download folder and last retrieved links – DONE saving in registry
2. Ability to maximize window to see more links. OR The window is a fixed size. I don’t like not being able to resize the window so I don’t have to scroll horizontally – nullified by the change in UI DONE
3. Fonts are messed up when text size is Medium – 125% – again nullified by the change in UI DONE
4. Sorting is too slow even after retrieving the links – implemented faster algorithm DONE
5. Overall the app is very slow even though its a small download – Made changes to the loading functionality…….hence faster loading time DONE
6. It would be great to be able to select a language and download subtitles too. – DONE
7. a search feature. – DONE
8. It would be nice to have a progress bar for each video being downloaded, not just the overall. The progress only changes as each file is completed. It would be nice to have a per file progress indicator as well – DONE
9. Remove from the list of links those already downloaded, so the user will not download a file more than once. Excepti maybe with some way to keep track of Low, Regular, and High sizes, should one want download all of the three sizes. I mean, one folder for each.Indicate which videos have already been downloaded, perhaps with an option to hide them from the list. – Files already downloaded will be avoided but keeping individual track will just make the app slower….so in a way DONE
10. Generate an html page. Populate it with links to all of the downloaded videos and descriptions. – DONE, along with an XML and Text file option too
11. A scheduler i.e. automatically check for and download new videos every x hours/days, excluding anything already in the list when the option is enabled OR command line option to launch minimized and start downloading new videos. Exit when finished. Could then be managed with task scheduler – wait for the next version for this
12. With that, a minimize to tray option…..Next version
The feedback from your end has really been very useful and i have tried my level best to come through. Do write to me to let me know what you think about this version, any additions and subtractions are welcome.
[ Download Link ]
IMP Update : see page for latest update : http://obinshah.wordpress.com/2013/04/07/updates-blog-tedinator100-video-limit-fix-etc/