As promised, I’m providing the updated version which fixes the errors that you have been facing and there are some good news and bad news. Read the change list below to understand them.
The list of changes are as below –
- Move to the TED API – This was a long time coming and I had been putting it off (even when users of the app suggested it) because of limitations on the number of hits per key (2 per second). Tedinator did not rely on the API until now but the data source it relies on has changed drastically and cannot be relied on without incurring a long and huge download, every single time. As a result, I decided to choose the lesser of the two evils and here, we are with the API. The license which I have is a base license and has a limitation of only 2 hits per second. As a result, concurrent users may face some issues when using the App, however, I have tried to make it as intuitive as possible to avoid/recover from these effects (And this is the main reason why the implementation took so much time).
App is in Beta – As a result of the above concurrency issue, I have decided to release the App in Beta. I have tested as much as I could and now, I’m relying on you, my user base to provide me updates as to how the app is working in the field. Do let me know if you encounter any issues while using the Beta version and I will try to fix it expressly. Do note that this app will remain in BETA till the end of this month after which (on 1st November 2015), in the absence of any pending issues, it will automatically move out of Beta.
- Dependency on Newtonsoft.Json – The portable executable which was stand-alone till now, now has a dependency on the Newtonsoft dll to parse the API data and as a result the dll needs to be at the same location as the executable, otherwise the app fails to work. I have included the version of the dll on which the app depends in the download I provide. Note: I am trying to resolve this dependency so that you can work with a single executable but i provide no guarantees.
- Updated Progress bars – The progress bars are now more verbose, displaying the size of the file being downloaded and also the progress of the TED data retrieval.
- Export Decommissioning – The export functionality has been decommissioned as it was becoming too much expensive to retain because of the move to the API.
- Miscellaneous things – Do note that because this is a Beta release, you might encounter a general sluggishness (in terms of memory) or minor bugs which I failed to detect. Rest assured that I will address all of them before the final release, but do let me know as and when you find them.
All in all, the new beta release fixes many of the issues faced by you all, adds some functionality and removes some too. I hope that it continues to be as helpful to you as it was before.
Note: Based on the feedback received, the issue with Tedinator’s crash has been resolved and the Latest version is 184.108.40.206 (Special Thanks to Eugene for the tip regarding the issue)
Update: Following further crash reports(this time related to videos not hosted on TED but external sites), the issues have been resolved and a new version (220.127.116.11) has been updated. For videos which are not hosted on TED.com, you should see the below message :
Also, here is the Virustotal scan report of the Updated file.