Print Locked PDF files
Scenario : You have downloaded a file from the internet and you liked it and want to print some parts of it. But the print function has been disabled. You try copying the text but even copying is disabled. What do you do ??
Solution : You know how it is, when the pdf files are just about 10 or 15 pages long, you go ahead and print them out to read later on.(That’s a bad habit btw, save paper)
However many times you find that the print function has been disabled. You see, this happens cos the person who created it has password protected the document to disallow certain functions like printing copying. Don’t you hate that ?? I mean if you can open and read the PDF, then you should be able to print it for reference later on. Right ?? (Answer: Right!!! Be with me guys…)
So when I received such a PDF last week that was like this I was determined to find a way to get around it.
Here’s what I found….
One of the way to get around this is by taking screenshots of every page of the whole document and then printing out the image, but that does seem like a lot of work when the page size exceeds 2…hehe :P.
The next way is to use a freeware application and I have the exact freeware application that is required : PDF Unlocker!
Unfortunately I could not find the homepage but I do have a copy I had downloaded it once some time back. So download it from the link i have provided below and then do the foll. :
1. download the program and install it.
2. The installation should have created a shortcut on the desktop that has a key for an icon. Drag your protected PDF onto that icon.
3. Once you do that, you will see a command prompt window on your screen. Just wait….it will go away by itself once it is done with the conversion.
4. There will now be another PDF file in the same location as the protected one, and the only difference is the new one has “_no PW” attached on to the end of the filename.
5. Double click on the new PDF to open it. Now you can enjoy all the features that had been removed from the document, such as printing and copy and paste functionality!!
Bless the programmer of this tool for creating such a useful tool. It saves me from a lot of hassle and finds a fixed spot in my toolbox.