View all Files with Universal Viewer
Scenario : You tried to rename a bunch of files in batch mode but it went wrong and the names got mixed and now you do not which file is which format. What do you do ??
Solution : A tricky issue that!!!! Viewing files with unknown or messed up formats can be a pain since there are SO MANY types of extension available. What if you can view all types of images, text, media, internet and other unknown files using only ONE program ? I always like to place my trust on a program that can do everything rather than installing two or more separate programs that do the same thing partially
That is where Universal Viewer comes in. Universal Viewer is an advanced file viewer with wide range of formats supported. Implemented view modes and corresponding file formats are:
- Text, Binary, Hex, Unicode: any files, of unlimited size (even 4Gb+ sizes are allowed)
- RTF, UTF-8: RTF and UTF-8 encoded texts
- Image: all general graphics formats: BMP JPG GIF PNG TGA TIFF… plus all formats supported byIrfanView/XnView external viewers
- Multimedia: all formats supported by MS Windows Media Player: AVI MPG WMV MP3…
- Internet: all formats supported by MS Internet Explorer: HTML PDF XML MHT…
- Plugins: all formats supported by Total Commander Lister plugins
- MS Office: all file types of MS Office (if installed): DOC DOCX XLS PPT…
- Converters: some types can be viewed as plain text: DOC DOCX PDF PPT ODT…
Application is fully Unicode-compatible and can be integrated into Windows Explorer‘s context menu, so there is no problem to call it from anywhere in Explorer: right-click a file and select the “Universal Viewer” item. It can also be integrated into other popular file managers.
Generally, Universal Viewer is an application similar to Total Commander Lister. But comparing to Lister, it has the following highlights:
- Built-in functions of several plugins: images, multimedia, webpages view
- Support for multiple codepages: ANSI, OEM, EBCDIC, ISO etc.
- Support for text converters for DOC, DOCX, ODT, PDF etc.
- Support for user tools
- Toolbar, status bar, other interface improvements
- Auto-reloading of file on changing, “Follow tail” option
- Displaying of line numbers
- Displaying of non-printable characters
- Combined Unicode/Hex mode (call Unicode mode twice)
- Modern RegEx search library
- Print preview
- EXIF viewer
In the Lister plugins section you will find the list of rather good Lister plugins to use in conjunction with UV. These plugins are developed by 3rd parties and are not included into UV installation.
License : The main application is freeware but the add-on “Navigation Panel” is shareware.
The “Navigation Panel” add-on is used for purposes like showing Explorer-like window, commands, running user-defined tools, running text converter for Office files, registering of MS Office control (note: when NavPanel trial period will expire, program won’t display MS Office files anymore).
System requirements: Windows All (32-bit)