Temporary E-Mail Accounts
Scenario : There is this website which has a promo going on and you want to take advantage of the offer but the site asks you to enter your email address and you don’t want to give out your personal email for fear of getting spammed.
Solution : I am sure many of you have faced this problem before. You want to take advantage of an offer but dont want to give out your personal ID. You cannot trust any site to keep your id private. they are more likely to subscribe you to a mailing list. Also, one more concern is that millions of spam bots crawl the web daily to find email addresses and then bombard them with spam emails thus destroying their efficiency and creating problems for users. so you just cannot have your mail ID lying about.
The solution to this problem would be to give an alternate email ID but that would require you to register a seperate account and keep on checking it periodically for spam!!!! Wouldn’t it be better if you could just use a temporary and disposable email account ?? Well, it certainly is and here are some of the best options you have :
1. Mailinator : This is by far the best service i have come across. To use their service you just have to think of any name that comes to your head and append it with @mailinator.com. Thats it. Your email address is ready and you can use this id as your disposable id. No hassle of an extra step to create, maintain or dispose of the id. The account remains for infinite duration.
2. Trash Mail : Trash mail is also the same as mailinator. but the only problem i find with them is that their domain name keeps on changing. Apart from that no issues. Also they have this secure email account feature but for that you need to register…..not worth the hassle. The account has a lifetime between 2 hours and 3 days
3. Guerilla Mail : This also falls in the “Think of a random name and use it ” category. However it comes with a one hour time frame. You can read and reply to e-mails that are sent to the temporary e-mail address within the given time frame.
For the above 3, you dont need to register but for the next 2 you need to register with an email ID ( Hey, Its good to have options…..besides you can always register with one of the above 3 ID’s 😉 )
4. Spambox : For this, you need to register with an id and it will generate a special spambox for you. You need to specify a time frame for it(from 30 minutes to 1 year). What it does is………that the spambox will exist for that time frame and all mails sent to that id will be forwarded to your registered email id but once the time frame is up, the spambox is deleted and you want get any unsolicited mails. You can always extend the time frame or delete the account before the time frame is up.
5. Jetable : Jetable is also similar to spambox but has a time frame of 1 hour to 1 month and cant be extended or deleted before time.
6. 10 Minute Mail : 10 minute mail does not fall in either of the above two categories as it itself generates random accounts for you which will strictly last for a duration of 10 minutes. You can keep on extending it every ten minutes, though.
Hope this helps you avoiding registering with sites you dont trust and keep spam at bay……till then stay sharp